Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Community.

What a great month this has been! October is usually a month I dread because I know that the winter season is just around the corner. I get the wonderful opportunity (hint of sarcasm added) to get up at 5:30 a.m. to take my dog outside and lately I've had to throw on an extra layer of clothing to keep warm. I believe it was Monday morning that I saw my breath for the first time in months. At any rate, I was thinking about where I was this time last year...I was still in Harrisburg, preparing to get out of the Navy after what seemed like a lifetime of service. I was keeping busy seeing friends that I probably wouldn't see again for a long time.

My first year in Indy...how I've been blessed! Within one week of being in a new city, I was plugged into a church and small group that has grown into two small groups now. I've made friendships here that will last a lifetime..I couldn't imagine my life without many of the people I've grown to love in just a few month's time. Community is so important in growing as a believer in Christ. There are some days I know I wouldn't be able to make it if I didn't have others around me. Yes, God is such an integral part of my life, but He also blesses us with people who are willing to come alongside us and lift us up when we need them. It hasn't always been that way...

I didn't realize how I'd secluded myself from people when I was living in Harrisburg. I was separated from my ex-husband and was a new Christian. I was so hungry to get into the Word of God that I spent most of my time at home, work, or church, and didn't leave any time for much else. Within a month of giving my heart to Christ, I stopped going to bars and drinking. I had absolutely no desire to. It was like I'd been on a pendulum that had swung extremely to one side. I know now that God was preparing me for the time in July of 2006 when my divorce would become final. I have faith that one day I'll know why God allowed me to go through such heartache. I knew he was at bars, had different girlfriends, and even lived with several different women over the course of 2 1/2 years. I think God wanted me to be alone then. I was dependent upon no one but Him. I had friends from church and through the ministry I was involved in, Club Impact II (for At-risk youth), and we did do things together, but for nearly ten months I felt a deep sense of loneliness. I was able to be involved in many outreach programs and was able to go on missions trips. Gradually, through reaching out to others, I found that I was fulfilled on an even deeper level. My ex would try to tear me down emotionally and psychologically in the way he spoke to me, but nothing he said or did was able to keep me from loving him and seeing him through Jesus' eyes. It took awhile, but it did happen.

I'm reminded of a piece of Scripture from Isaiah 40:31 that reads, "Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint." I think about how God took me through a valley of loneliness and helped me face my deepest fears (never being loved by anyone) and has turned that sorrow into joy by giving me great relationships with wonderful people through small group, church, and work. Jesus works in such amazing ways in and through close-knit communities that have a heart for Him, and here I've most definitely found one. I am challenged each day to become a better woman and follower of Christ because of them.

I'll write more tomorrow when I have some free time...there's still more to say but it's almost time to leave..:) thanks for reading.

No comments: